Great write-up on expanding the existing root EBS volume for an EBS-backed instance:
- Stop the instance.
- Create a snapshot of the root EBS volume.
- Create an ESB volume from that snapshot with the new desired size. (Please ensure it is in the same AZ as the instance)
- Detach the root EBS volume and attach the newly created EBS volume to /dev/sda1 on the instance.
- Start the instance and then login.
- Enter ‘df -h’ to see the current size of the root volume.
- Enter ‘sudo resize2fs /dev/sda1’ to get the rest of the expanded disk.
- Enter ‘df -h’ again to see the new size of the root volume.